“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
Philanthropy is an effort or act of charity to promote human welfare.
Getting involved in a charitable cause not only provides a boost in morale but also provides an opportunity to contribute to the community and make a difference in others’ lives.
Ways to give back
- Donate old toys, books, and clothes.
- Volunteer at the local charitable soup kitchen or food pantry.
- Organize a community-cleaning drive for picking up trash in a local park or other area.
- Spend time at an assisted-living facility or nursing home.
- Cook food for a family in need.
- Offer to teach or coach underprivileged children.
- Organize a fund-raiser.
How to raise funds
First, you can seek donations from family, friends, neighbors, and acquaintances. It is helpful to post flyers in public areas describing what you wish to do. Furthermore, organizing events, such as a party where guests are encouraged to donate, can also raise significant funds.
The Internet has also had a significant impact on fund-raising. There are numerous online resources, that can help generate awareness for your favorite charity. For example, James Ragan, a young hero who recently passed away due to cancer, started the organization Triumph Over Kid Cancer when he was 13. By hosting fund-raising events, such as toga parties and golf tournaments, and creating a fruitful website, James was able to garner more than $1 million for cancer research.
- Be genuine with the fund-raising appeal, explaining in detail what intends to be done with the money.
- Overcome fear of rejection by focusing on the importance of the fund-raiser.
- Keep donors informed through newsletters or a website about what you are doing with the funds.
Calculator: How much will you have at retirement?
- American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/
- American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/
- United Way: http://www.unitedway.org/
- College Track: http://www.collegetrack.org/
- Junior Achievement: https://www.juniorachievement.org/
- African Library Project: http://www.africanlibraryproject.org/
- To find local opportunities to volunteer: http://www.volunteermatch.org/
- Feeding America: http://feedingamerica.org/
- United Way: https://give.liveunited.org/page/contribute/support-us
- Goodwill: http://www.goodwill.org/
- Food for the Poor: http://www.foodforthepoor.org/
- YMCA: http://www.ymca.net/
- Women are more likely to donate money to charity, while men are more likely to volunteer or help a stranger.
- A report by The Chronicle of Philanthropy showed that middle-class Americans donate a larger portion of their income to charity than the rich do.
- The most generous contries are Australia, then Ireland followed by Canada.