Focus topic: SARs*
(mini suite #5 of 10)
Last updated: June 18, 2018
PoC URL: https://napkinfinance.com/sars/ password: napkin123
Key takeaways (universal for all assets other than chart):
- SARs offer you the potential opportunity to receive a payment equal to the gain in your company’s stock price over a period of time.
- You receive your SARs on the grant date, and your company may require you to acknowledge your grant.
- As your SARs vest, they become available, and you may exercise them to receive shares or cash.
- Depending on your personal needs and goals, you have choices for what to do with the shares or cash you receive.
- You can find all the details on the particular terms of your SARs in your grant agreement.
Keyline: Your SARs at a glance
Infoline: The what, the how and the choices you face in managing your stock appreciation rights.
Description: Stock appreciation rights are valuable because they let you participate in gains in your company’s stock price at no cost to you. After you exercise your SARs, you may choose how best to use the proceeds.
Keyline: Exercising your SARs
Infoline: How your SARs settle will determine whether you receive cash or shares.
- Depending on the terms of your award, your SARs settle either in cash or shares.
- In a Cash settlement, you receive a payment equal to the gain in your company’s share price minus taxes and fees.
- In a Stock settlement, you receive the same value as a Cash settlement but in the form of company shares in your UBS account.
- Check your grant agreement for more details on how your SARs settle.
Description: How your stock appreciation rights settle doesn’t affect the total value of your benefit but does determine whether you receive shares or cash upon exercise.
Keyline: Know your SARs
Infoline: Make the most of your equity compensation by learning how stock appreciation rights work.
Description: Stock appreciation rights offer you the chance to share in your company’s success at no cost. Simple steps, such as acknowledging your grant, choosing the right time to exercise and deciding what to do with your shares or cash, can help you get the most value from this compensation.